What is an art photographer?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SmilerGrogan Senior Member • Posts: 1,288
Re: What is an art photographer?

The difference between Mike Johnson and you, me, and everyone else who visits this site is that Mike is a unique, powerful, wide-ranging intellect whose ideas have advanced the field of photography.

Not a soul here is fit to polish his boots and we—myself included—prove it over and over in ifoolish discussions like this one.

Tom Axford wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

Thanks for this Martin.

I read it, but have also bookmarked it for a closer reading later.
Mike Johnson has proven time and again that he knows as much about photography as it is practiced as anyone I know. He’s learned but also down to earth practical. He’s got the dirt underneath his fingernails that both academics and armchair but decided anti-academic types don’t have.

Yes and he speaks with great modesty and generosity. None of those either/or, good verses evil, one * verses five * dichotomies that seem to plague the discussions here..

It is very easy to agree with oneself. The Online Photographer is not an open forum.

So? Does that invalidate his opinion? Besides there is space for comments underneath his articles.

No, of course it doesn't invalidate his opinion. I never suggested it did. There are comments following his articles, but I suspect that they are heavily moderated (by him).

I am not implying that there is anything wrong with this, but it is a totally different situation from an open forum with very little moderation.

The Online Photographer is very interesting and I often look at what he has to say. However, it is what I would describe as a blog rather than an open forum. He discusses things on his terms.

I think it is true to say that several contributors to dpreview forums also run their own blogs and the tone of their contributions to their own blogs can be very different from the tone of their contributions to dpreview forums.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow