Auto focus, A7R III vs RIV

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dr jim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,830
Auto focus, A7R III vs RIV

I'm currently looking to move from A6600 to either the A7 R III or R IV. Most of my interest is photographing birds, and young, very mobile grandchildren. Obviously, AF capability is important to me, specifically eye AF in the case of the kids. I know that the A7R III initially did not have the Real Time AF that the A7R IV or even my A6600 have, but I know there have been some significant firmware updates to the A7R III since then. I've done my due diligence and scoured the internet for info, but it seems all the comparisons are from 2019, before the firmware updates. The implementation of eye AF is particularly important. I know that with the A7 III and the A7R III initially you had to set a FN button to activate eye AF while with my A6600 and the R IV you just need turn face/eye AF to on, and have the focus mode set to AFC, and you're good to go.                                                                                                                Anybody out there with experience with both that could shed some light on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Just my opinion and just for fun!
Jim

dr jim's gear list:dr jim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony a6400 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +7 more
Sony a7 Sony a7 III Sony a7R Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Lan
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow