Capture One for Sony - Express edition (also free) - Excellent raw photo editor

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Oh-kay1 New Member • Posts: 23
Capture One for Sony - Express edition (also free) - Excellent raw photo editor

Thought I'd put in a good word about my experience with Capture One for Sony - Express version, which is also free.

I started off with Adobe Photoshop Express, which is great, when you do not need to make significant changes to your images, also free, and a good starting point. The main issue with it is you cannot save your settings, so each image, when you go back to it, to reprocess your raw files, you will need to start again, from scratch, which is a pain, if you simply wish to make a minor edit to a previous image, but still have the benefit of calling up previous edit settings, as a starting point. So this is a good app for one offs, but not if you are likely to be reviewing your edits and revising them. Moreso as your photography improves, and your knowledge of editing, it is such a shame that you always have to start from scratch with every single edit of a raw image. This has no library management.

I then moved on to darktable, and spent about a year with it since I was not about to worship at the temple of Adobe, every month, cos some months I take no pictures, and will not be using their software, so why should I pay for something I may not use regularly. At this time photography is a hobby, albeit one I take seriously whenever I get the opportunity.

My frustration with darktable and the difficulty with getting images to look right, led me back to Sony's Imaging Edge, which is excellent if you do not want to deviate too much from the in-camera jpeg. In fact if what you want is a slightly higher value version of thein-camera jpg, the Sony software replicates this look brilliantly, For many, this is all they need, if they want a little bit of flexibility during photo editing, and the ability to use raw files as their source, to change things like white balance, in an effective photographically correct manner, which you cannot do reliably with jpegs.

Going back and forth between darktable, Sony Imaging Edge, and Capture One, and reviewing other possibilities such as Raw Therapee, all of which are free, I have eventually settled on Capture One for Sony - Express.

The most important value this adds is the image quality, its images have a clarity, almost like you had used a better camera. It has decent enough library management - if a bit difficult to learn, and it has a set of photo editing features for developing any photo that was properly captured, into something pretty presentable, with not too much effort. very tool needs learning. As long as you do not need extensive edits, of the kind that is best done in a high end retouching app like photoshop, this is all that most will need. IN a way rather than having a plethora of advanced tools, Capture One for Sony  - express, has just the right balance, to prevent you from wrecking the image, but enough to within a few minutes, enhance the image to highlight your photo intentions. And its free. If you've outgrown things like Sony Imaging Edge, this is a superb app to consider.

Oh-kay1's gear list:Oh-kay1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Sony Alpha NEX-F3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow