Leaving developed film in water too long / avoiding streaks on film

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hobsonp New Member • Posts: 15
Leaving developed film in water too long / avoiding streaks on film

Couple of questions from an inexperienced film developer:

When do I need to be concerned about leaving film in water for too long?  I typically rinse the film after the fixer for about 30 minutes.  Yesterday, I forgot the film in the tank of final rinse (distilled water with a couple drops of Photo Flo) and went and walked the dog.  It sat in there for almost another hour.  It didn't ruin it, but it occurred to me that at some point, it would be too long.

Second question is how to dry the film clean without streaks?  As mentioned, I rinse the film for the final time in distilled water and a drop or two of Photo Flo (in 600mL water).  I take the film out, hang and weight it with stainless film clips and then I squeegee the water off with my fingers.

If I don't squeegee it, the blobs of water sitting on the film adjacent to dry areas have appeared to damage the film.

I've tried nitrile gloves and bare fingers.  I have low humidity so it tends to dry pretty quickly.  But I get streaks.  Not water spots because I'm using distilled water and the Photo Flo which is a surfactant.

Should I use a rubber squeegee?  A microfiber cloth?

Could it be the Photo Flo?  I don't see how distilled water would leave streaks.  Maybe I will try omitting the Photo Flo next time.

The streaks can be wiped off -- they're not in the emulsion layer of the film, but just on the surface.  I don't like to have to scrub my film but I'm going to try using distilled water and a microfiber cloth to wipe the strips (they've been cut now).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow