How to carry EM1 ii w 300mm f4 pro lens?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Paul B Jones
Paul B Jones Veteran Member • Posts: 3,103
Re: How to carry EM1 ii w 300mm f4 pro lens?

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Either a sling or wrist strap, anchored to the camera tripod socket.

Cheers,

Rick

With all respect, I think this might be wrong. My understanding is that the general rule with telephotos is - always carry by the lens.

If the camera body and lens weigh roughly the same amount, then there is no problem carrying by the camera.

When the lens and body weights start to significantly diverge, an unsupported heavy lens can start to put strain on the lens mount.

Think of a long branch, very thin at one end, much thicker at the other. If you pick it up by the heavy end - no problem. Pick it up by the skinny end, and the branch breaks. In this convoluted analogy, the camera is the thin end of the stick, the lens the thicker part, and the place where it breaks is the lens mount.

Back in the camera world, this concern mostly arises with the big super telephotos. I always carry my 600mm f/4 either by the tripod mount/foot attached to the lens, or by a strap attached directly to the lens.

I assume the 300mm f/4 is a pleasingly lighter piece of equipment, but if it is much heavier than the EM1ii, I would recommend - always carry by the lens. Happy photography everybody!

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow