Purchased a Nikon Refurbished Camera - Shutter count is higher than expected. Worry?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lazer42 Forum Member • Posts: 72
Purchased a Nikon Refurbished Camera - Shutter count is higher than expected. Worry?

This week I purchased and received a Nikon USA refurbished D500 (bought from Adorama). It looks clean and nice enough that on first glance it was indistinguishable from a new camera, though after having it for a few hours there are a few very minor marks on the body. The top LCD and back touchscreen are immaculate, as is the OVF, and it seems to work great.

Everything seemed great until I checked the shutter count using camerashuttercount.com and got a result of over 68,000. I hadn't necessarily cared too much about the shutter count when ordering, but that's because I had looked at a lot of threads here and on other sites and found a lot of reports of people buying Nikon refurbished stuff and finding shutter counts of a few hundred.

Is this number something I ought to be concerned about? For added context, I am trying to decide whether to keep this or another camera (I've asked about the other one in a different discussion), so how much of a factor should my discovery of the shutter count play into the consideration? In other words, say for example that in weighing the two cameras I like the D500 better all other things considered: how close would the two have to be before the shutter count should reasonably sway me to the other camera?

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow