Moving M43 G85 w/PL12-60 to Z5 w/24-200? Anyone do this?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,421
Moving M43 G85 w/PL12-60 to Z5 w/24-200? Anyone do this?

I'm currently using a G85 w/Panasonic Leica 12-60. I have other lenses, but this is the workhorse combo. This is for stills. I'm not a video person.

I'm considering a Z5 w/24-200 (and add the 40mm as my prime once it's out).

I tried the Canon RP w/their 24-240, and while I liked the results in both cleaner ISO and deeper color bit depth, I didn't like the RP controls, the front weight of the 24-240, nor the "backwards" zoom control. (I've also used Sony, and just really don't like their camera bodies.)

In researching, the Z5 looks to be most of what, at a budget (for a used body) that I can afford. I don't think I need the Z6.

The Z5 would provide me:

• More resolution for cropping (up to 24 from 16)
  • Cleaner high ISO
  • Better AF for moving subjects and better face/eye detect (not sports or BIF, just social and family stuff)
  • AF joystick

What I lose in moving to the Z5:

• Dedicated external controls for drive mode and AF mode (I use both regularly on the G85)
  • Everything gets a bit bigger and heavier (1245g up from 820g)

Questions:

• Aside from lens options, Am I missing anything from the above (I think the 24-200 and 40mm will be 95% of what I want).
  • Does the 24-200 resolve well enough to take advantage of the higher megapixels? I don't want to add resolution if it's not used
  • Has anyone here done this exact switch? Any feedback from real world comparisons is appreciated.
  • Is the boken on the 24-200 pretty pleasing? I'd probably use the long end for family portraits (Christmas cards and things like that).

Thanks for any help/input.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z5 Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow