Iceland

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Greg7579
OP Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041
Re: Suggestions

DMillier wrote:

There are (obviously) lots of waterfalls on the ring road. They throw up spray. You might want to think about how you protect your camera but also how to shoot something that is covered in spray. Quite a lot of my shots suffered both from the direct effects of spray (maybe a long lens hood?) and the indirect effects of mist in the air.

If you go to Mvatn, depending on the luck of the draw, the mozzies could be swarming. Head net compulsory. We were lucky back in 2009. Didn't like the hundreds of dead ducklings around the lake shore, however.

Everyone goes to Jökulsárlón but don't forget the beach in front of the lagoon. Small bergs float down the river and get stranded. Of course, I forgot. If you go counter-clockwise, as we did, there is another glacial lake before Jökulsárlón that may be less crowded.

It can be overcast and drizzly even in mid summer, be prepared for that. You get seemingly everlasting golden hour sunsets if you stay up late and the weather is good.

If you can time it so that you cross raised road over the mouth/outlet of the southern glacier in the Hof area at sunset, the black sand, mountains and geology can be mind blowing.

Driving around the fjordy bits can be tiring - in an out of all the twiddly bits, as Slartibartfast could have said. It's a good idea not to rush these bits, it takes a lot longer than you think.

Thing about the practicalities of driving and photographing in an environment where sometimes you want to stop every 10 metres and take a photo. Organise your gear for fast egress and ingress and consider your partner! Alternatively, just drive on past amazing photo-ops. I shot 10x more than I ever have before or since. That might be a problem with your prodigious output!

Respect the harsh landscape and try and avoid clambering all over the lava fields. They can look nice and green but life clings on grimly and needs all the nurturing it can get.

There are active eruptions at the moment.

Puffins can be found at Vik/Dyrholaey and other places but especially at Látrabjarg where they will literally walk up your lens. Is does mean lying on the ground at the cliff edge, however.

Iceland has gone from obscurity to hero shots for photographers in what seems like the blink of an eye, but it is still one of the great places of the world for photogs.

Enjoy!

http://whisperingcat.co.uk/galleries/iceland_2009/index.html

David, thanks for the long post that will be very helpful to me.  I viewed your images from Iceland and they are stunning and inspiring.  I will have all the latest guidebooks so figuring out where to go won't be a challenge because we have 25 days and a rental car.  I have studied the map in detail and we will be winging it as we go.  The place names are impossible and I can't remember them longer than 5 seconds.

This is the kind of trip I don't want to have to pre-book rooms two weeks ahead but want to book as I drive and as we flow along the ring road and their spurs.  When I get there I will find out quickly if that is a problem and adjust.

The rental car is stunningly expensive to the point that it freaks me out.  I did not rent a four-wheel drive but it is not advisable to go on the F (dirt) roads with them anyway but to stay on the pavement.  The dirt roads in the interior are best with guided tours with super-jeeps.  The whole point is to have freedom to roam and shoot.

Anyway, packing will be an extreme challenge because we will do short and long day hikes most days and they almost all require wading across streams and I will need my hiking gear and photography gear.

The key is to just get it on the airplane because once there I can fill the rental car with all the gear.  I may check a third bag to stuff in hiking gear.  Unlike some places I won't be too concerned with car break-ins if we have gear in the car and we are away from it for a while (although  it can happen anywhere in the world I guess - but they say not so much in Iceland).

I am agonizing about the 110.  I may slip it in Teresa's suitcase when she is not looking.  That would give me 6 lenses, but if I take a 6th lens, I might prefer the 100-200.

I wonder if IR will work well on the thermal features and late night sun?  Probably not.  Bright sun is best right?

Iceland was insane in July and August the past 5 years.  Maybe now is the time and it won't be packed with my fellow Man.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
cjb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow