Should I upgrade to E-M1 Mark II?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
tammons Veteran Member • Posts: 6,567
Re: Should I upgrade to E-M1 Mark II?

kopi90 wrote:

Hi all,

Currently, I have Panasonic GX9 with the 12-32mm kit lens and 45-150mm tele. Overall it's a nice solid camera but has some flaws with lower-quality EVF, IBIS while present not as good as in higher-end models, shallow grip, cramped buttons, battery life is not great and of course, the most important thing is that I haven't bought any really premium lens. Some time ago I was wondering whether to stick with M43 or to simply switch to APSC/Full-frame. The conclusion is that APSC with a similar treatment as M43 is only from Fuji and the whole platform is quite closed. Full-frame bodies are not that much bigger. but the size of lenses convinced me to better stay with a crop sensor format.

My initial idea was to get Pana Leica 12-60mm to get some nice improvement in IQ and reach. The lens was even discounted but saw that it might not be very well balanced with a smaller body like GX9, so I resisted to buy it.

Now in Europe, we have a quite interesting offer directly from Olympus to get the following kit:

• Olympus E-M1 Mark II
  • Olympus 12-40mm f2.8
  • Olympus 25mm

For around 1100 Eur approx. $1300.

Would this sound like an interesting offer? I am a little bit worried that the Olympus is even older than GX9, a higher model though. EVF has a similar resolution, so in this case, it might not be a huge upgrade, or is the optics better?

I use the camera mostly for travel, landscape, close-ups, and street photography. Also experimenting with video, split is roughly 90/10. My level is an amateur who is looking to improve my photography and post-processing skills.

Alternatively, I can get 12-45mm f4.0 for around 420 Eur approx. $500.

Any thoughts?

Couple of years ago, I upgraded from a GX9 to a used EM1 II and never looked back. Later, I did buy a used GX85 for extended 4k video but that's a different story.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow