Nikon 105 MC control ring uses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
steveTQP
steveTQP Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: Nikon 105 MC control ring uses

Rich Rosen wrote:

Special Circumstances wrote:

Hi,

I’ve pre-ordered the 105 MC but having never owned a lens with the customisable control ring I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions what to use it for?

I know that’s a “how long’s a piece of string” question but I’m just after some ideas and my personal usage will be for macro not portraiture.

Thanks in advance.

My biggest issue with Z mount lenses is that control ring. I kind of understand the reason for the way it works on the 1.8 primes and f4 zooms; it also doubles as the manual focusing ring, so smooth twisting of that ring is necessary. But on the 2.8 zooms and the higher primes (including the 105 MC), there is a separate focusing ring, in addition to the control ring. On those lenses, why aren't there click stops which will give you some resistance if you do not want to change the setting , and also confirms a setting change when wanted? Because I think its a big problem for me, I chose to use that ring for quick ISO change.

Well, regarding manual focus on this lens, I would hope that Nikon makes use of the much larger Focus Ring for that, rather than the narrower Control Ring. Currently I use the very sharp Laowa 100 f/2.8 Ultra-Macro lens for macro and product work, and while it is extremely sharp at 1:1 and even 2:1, it's achilles' heel is the very narrow (short) focus throw of its' focus ring! It just makes critical focusing a more laborious process than it should be. Hence, my eager anticipation of test results of this new Nikkor S lens!

-- hide signature --

SteveTQP
steve@totalqualityphoto.com

steveTQP's gear list:steveTQP's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow