10-100mm jack of all trades master of none?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mike-nikon-1 New Member • Posts: 7
10-100mm jack of all trades master of none?

Hi folks, just joined the forum but have had a V1 + 10-30mm + 30-110mm since the system came out in 2011.  Later picked up an S1 for the missus and a J5.  In 2015 I bought the manual 10-100mm before an overseas trip and used it as my main lens till it developed that aperture problem in 2020.

Just got a replacement (silver + white, sexy) off of eBay and had to immediately test it to make sure I got what I paid for.  I snapped a few test photos with my old, cheap, plastic body kit lenses and compared with this new(er), expensive, metal body lens and was shocked at the quality difference -- in the wrong direction.

I'd never attempted a direct comparison before and had always been happy with the results of the 10-100mm.  Maybe I shouldn't have been?  I thought at first I had a defective lens and was prepared to fight to get my money back, but on a lark I plugged in my "broken" old 10-100mm and discovered it still works at max zoom, as others have reported with their broken lenses.  An apples-to-apples comparison showed the old and replacement lenses performing identically, so I guess I did get what I paid for.

It makes sense that a single lens that covers a huge range and can serve as your only lens for excursion photography, obviating the need to carry around multiple lenses and swap them on the go, would be too good to be true if there were no sacrifices.  But I thought the higher price -- roughly the same cost as the two lenses it replaced -- was that sacrifice.

Does this make sense and match others' experiences or is there a flaw in my testing method somewhere?

Nikon 1 J5 Panasonic S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow