A first telephoto lens struggle

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
tammons Veteran Member • Posts: 6,566
Re: A first telephoto lens struggle

Davijoh wrote:

Hi everybody,

For the last few weeks, I've been reading countless threads on telephoto lenses and I can't make a decision...

My current gear is a Lumix GX9 with:
- Lumix 25mm f1.7 (the one I use 99% of the time)
- Lumix 12-32mm f3,5-5,6 (I never use it tbh)
- Lumix 12-60mm f3,5-5,6 (But that one has seawater inside, so not very reliable)

My photography "style":
- I travel a lot and I don't want to take more than 2 lenses with me
- Swapping lenses constantly is not for me
- Almost all of my pictures are taken outside
- I particularly like pictures taken during sunset and after
- I shoot a bit of everything.

My ideal new lens would:
- Replace the 12-60, but with more reach
- Be small and lightweight enough to avoid using a tripod
- Be good enough for lower light conditions
- Have enough reach for surf photography (with surfers on a beach break for example, so usually not too far from the shore)

I've considered the Lumix 35-100 f2.8 as I've read many positive reviews and I love how small it is, but I am not sure about the reach?
I've also read good things about the Oly 12-100 f4. It would stay on my camera most of the time, but same as the Pana, is the reach going to be enough? And it might be less good in low light conditions.
Then, there is the Lumix 14-140 f3.5-5.6. It's "cheap", has a good reach, and apparently good quality? But again, it might not be good in low light...
Etc...
Any suggestion here?
(Price-wise, the Lumix 35-100 f2.8 is the limit. For a lens like the Oly 12-200, I'd sell the 12-32 to compensate)

FYI, the Oly 12-100mm, although a great lens, does not balance that well on the GX9, unless you have a decent grip. I had a GX9 and almost sold my 12-100 for that reason but was glad that I didn't because I moved over to an Oly EM1 II, which is much better balanced with heavier lenses. When I had my GX9, my preferred lens setup was a Laowa 7.5mm F2, Pany 12-32, the PL 12-60, and the Pany 100-300mm.

If you had an EM1 II, and or a camera with a more substantial grip, I would suggest an Oly 12-100mm F4, and the Oly 40-150mm F2.8, and the 1.4x TC.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow