Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 15,554
Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV

My favorites were the SH-series pocket zooms. They have a low mass, and the image stabilization works when mounted an my accordion, as I was playing it while recording video during public performances with the City of Auckland Morris Dancers. Also I could change settings quickly when updating rental property documentation. My business partner regards fiddling with the camera on the job as un-professional.

But I broke the SH-2 (one summer shower too many), and was offered an E-M10 II to replace it at the price of a new SH-2.

I accepted the E-M10 II, but quickly found that its menu got me bogged down on rental photo jobs when the settings needed changing, so I reverted to my remaining SH-50 and SH-1 pocket zooms for the rental documentation updates.

But last year, a tax rebate was spent on the E-M10 IV body, now in use mainly with the Olympus 14-150 II lens -

but also with the Olympus 75-300 II lens

On the E-M10 IV, the Super Control Panel covers all the requests I had for stills, but also all the changes in video settings, as a ship in the harbor starts departing while I was recording the changing city lights and the resulting water reflections.

The E-M10 II menu settings, 3 levels down, and only reliable if you dedicate a function button for them, have gone on the E-M10 IV.

On the second day of E-M10 IV ownership I was able to do a photo series for my business partner without getting flustered.

The E-M10 IV is now my favored camera for all photo occasions except some shopping trips where the pocket zooms don't get in the way of shopping trolleys like my E-M10 IV kit does.

It turns out that a number of setting short cuts on the E-M10 IV are also present on the E-M10 II, but my pre-occupation with its menu prevented me from even looking for them.

In the ratings below I have only put those in that I regularly use. We no longer have children visiting us, and Covid-19 has killed many sports events.

My social life now is mostly with my radio club, and for that the pocket zooms are still preferred by our members for being inconspicuous.

For instructional videos the E-M10s have a manual audio setting, with peak limiting, which bypasses the resonances in the lecture rooms I have recorded in so far. (The pocket zooms use automatic volume control with peak limiting added, and that combination records room resonances in preference to speech.)

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - E-M10 Mark II and Mark IV, SH-1, SH-50
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Aug 4, 2020
Henry Falkner's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus Stylus SH-2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow