Does anyone else do this.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 36,720
Re: Screen for me.

tbcass wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Redhenry wrote:

I'm an LCD convert. When I got my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 775 in about 2002, I loved the little screen on the back. I've had two cameras with viewfinders since then but still prefer an LCD. Great for plant and flower pics, especially with an articulated screen, and lovely on a tripod. Yes, strong sunlight can make it awkward at times but I'm still quite content with no viewfinder. My next camera, later this year, will very likely be the new Olympus EP-7. Takes all sorts, as they say.

Same here, rear screen all the way. If a camera has an EVF I simply ignore it. And that after something like 40 years or so of using an OVF.

Just because someone prefers or is comfortable using the LCD in no way suggests it's really the best way to take a photograph.

Just because I use the screen does not mean that I meant it was the best way for everyone. I know that I'm in the small minority among system camera users. But definitely in the company of 99% of the world's photographers ... smart-phones anyone?

It is simply that I find the screen much more comfortable to use than the EVF despite the occasional "seeing" difficulty on a sunny day.

When I bought an RX100 back in 2012 I was forced to use the LCD and became comfortable with it. Now that I replaced it with an RX100vii with its pop-up EVF I rarely use the LCD anymore.

Aha! I have the RX100M6 as my companion to my M4/3 gear and I never, repeat never, use the pop-up EVF to take a photo. In truth though I do admit to popping it up every few months simply to see if it is still working. Now warranty has timed out that is not so necessary now. The optional EVF I bought for my Pens has probably not been used at all now for about 5 years, though like the Sony I do check that it still works now and then, if I can find it.

An EVF/OVF just a far better way to use a camera because you can hold the camera steadier,

Funnily when I was doing extensive IBIS and lens stabilisation testing with my Olympus Pen M4/3 gear and a mix of Olympus and Panasonic lenses using the optional hot-shoe EVF I found that holding the camera to my head produced a whisker worse result for stabilisation over all. Though it would have been within the bounds of experimental results spread.

Basically there was no clear evidence of EVF use being steadier in my case. I put that down to the IBIS maybe being better tuned to a typical screen user hand holding at mid chest height, elbows bent and gently pulled to my sides. There were many hundreds of shots taken, 10 at each shutter speed, focal length, lens and repeated with stabilisation on and off, so I had a good average idea of how my stabilisation was working for me.

it's a more immersive experience and I can see details in the scene much better.

Aha! I prefer to see the whole scene to better aid the current framing on the screen, plus see and wait for or avoid possible intrusions into the frame.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow