G5X ii settings for hight contrast shots

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rockerflint New Member • Posts: 2
G5X ii settings for hight contrast shots

Playing with my relatively new (used) G5X ii, I found there are two different settings for shooting contrasty situations, and they seem to be mutually exclusive. They are called Auto Lighting Optimizer and Highlight Tone Priority. The first one is available from the quick menu or the Shoot2 menu, and the second one is only on the Shoot2 menu. The ALO has Off, Low, Standard, and High settings, while the HTP has Off, D+, and D+2 settings.

Setting the Highlight Tone Priority to D+ or D+2 makes the Auto Lighting Optimizer unavailable.

I often encounter shots with high contrast, but I'm not sure which of these Canon features is better to use. I guess the ALO is easier to use, since it's on the quick menu. My few test shots show that both settings seem to give better balance for contrasty situations, and I can't decide if one is better than the other.

Do any of you have experience with these settings? Can you explain when to use, or what situations call for one setting over the other?

Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow