Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 7,882
Re: Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports Exhibits and entries

AlwynS wrote:

edform wrote:

Some very good stuff in this challenge - thought these might fit...

Exhibit 1: D-Type Jaguar on show at Goodwood

Exhibit 2: Gearbox of one of the Toyota Le Mans cars - can't recall which.

Exhibit 3: Ford GT40 giving it some around a spectator-lined street circuit.

Exhibit 4: Agostini replica MV 500 triple. The world has forgotten how to make things as beautiful as this.

Exhibit 5: 1955 NSU Sportsmax - this was a 250cc single cylinder racer sold direct from the factory to privateer racers with a LOT of money. The Dustbin fairing, rear mudgard and petrol tank are all hand-beaten aluminium...

If you see one with its beaten metal bits painted, they will be magnesium - ask your friendly local metal basher about forming magnesium sheet - it is not easy. This particular machine was H.P. [Happy] Muller's personal example and I think the fairings etc are lacquered magnesium.

Exhibit 6: Hogslayer - A twin Norton engined world record setting drag bike. See Archives: The Hogslayer - Cycle News. This thing ate Harleys for breakfast and spit out the pips. There's a movie about it which is probably on YouTube but hard to find these days. It was this device that convinced me that drag racing was a worthwhile way for human beings to waste time.

Entry 1: A roller-bearing crankshaft from a Mercedes GP car of the late 30s - W154, Supercharged, 3 litre V12. It is made up of dozens of precision machined parts joined together with interference fits and screw threads and prevented from being twisted out of line by Hirth joints - the toothed face you see at the end is half of one of them. The thing was pushed together with very short tapered sections and then very high pressure oil was pumped in to swell the joints and allow the parts to be pushed home. It's simply jewelry.

Entry 2: Another view of the same crank - it's in the big Mercedes museum next door to the works. This view shows more detail of the conrods.

Entry 3: A solid Titanium crankshaft from a Flat-12, 1968, Porsche 917 Le Mans car - it's in the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. It weighs 13Kg, 10Kg less than an equivalent steel shaft. These motors delivered 1100 bhp in 24 hour race trim and rumour has it that some of the 'qualifying' engines had 1500 bhp. They could break traction on the rear wheels at 200mph. I think I'm right in saying that they are still the most powerful cars ever brought to Le Mans and one of them holds the all-time lap record at 3' 13.6" and always will, since they added a chicane in the Mulsanne straight the next year to limit the insane speeds being achieved on that long, long stretch of road. Weight saving measures were so extreme on these cars that the tubular chassis was used to pipe engine oil to the oil coolers and the gear knob was turned out of birch.

Very nice series but for me the con rods are the stars! Incredible artwork!

I agree, they are simply gorgeous and no NC machines ever came near them, all hand made and machined by men with astonishing skills.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow