Why is minimum native ISO 200 on many mirrorless cameras?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP Charley123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,054
Re: Why is minimum native ISO 200 on many mirrorless cameras?

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

Charley123 wrote:

As some posted above and I've since confirmed through other sources (various professional camera testing sites)...

The ISO 200 setting on various Olympus M43 and Fujifilm ASP-C cameras is in reality ISO 100 amount of light. I've got that info from several testing sites, as well as a couple posters earlier in this thread.

The next question is: Why is that? I have read a wide variety of opinions at various sites (forums and testing sites). I believe it's a marketing thing, as follows...

Olympus, and many Fuji cameras, native ISO camera settings start at ISO 200 (which is really ISO 100 amount of light).

It's widely stated and accepted by reviewers that Olympus low light performance is good up to camera setting ISO 1600, and I have experienced this. However, that's really ISO 800 amount of light, but it sounds better calling it ISO 1600. It makes the camera sound 1 stop more capable in low light than it is. That helps sell Olympus cameras because everyone is obsessed with low light performance.

The amount of light delivered to the sensor is the same for all cameras at the same settings. ISO, not really part of the exposure equation, is the brightness gain applied after exposure. The question is: Comparatively, how much noise is there in the images at the same settings after you’ve equalized the brightness with ISO gain (at whatever number that is)?

I don't disagree with you. I also stand by what I said. I'm talking about jpg out of camera. I shoot jpg + raw. I normally use the jpg OOC because they're usually good as is. For me raw is just a backup plan that I seldom need.

It's widely stated and accepted by reviewers that Fuji low light performance is good up to camera setting ISO 3200. However, that's really ISO 1600 amount of light, but it sounds better calling it ISO 3200. It makes the camera sound 1 stop more capable in low light than it is. That helps sell Fujifilm cameras because everyone is obsessed with low light performance.

So IMO it's motivated by marketing. That said, I have found my Olympus E-M10 Mark II to be good in low light situations. Specifically it works good for hand held shooting candid people photos indoors without flash.

I haven't owned my new Fuji X-T20 and X-E3 long enough to comment on their low light abilities for candid subjects without flash, but I can reasonably assume it will be 1 stop better than Oly.

The X-T20/X-E3 are capable of decent results well beyond ISO 3200 with careful processing. This is ISO 12800 with a full 1 stop exposure push in post (ISO 25600 equivalent).

I'm taking about jpg OOC with no need for post processing. So I stand by what I said in regard to jpg OOC with a quality level I'm comfortable with, which is how the professional reviews/tests I was referring to also did it.

I'm not interested in milking raw files in post processing. Though I'm sure you're correct with regard to that.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow