So, how does the R5 compare to the A7siii currently after all of the FW updates?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tengri New Member • Posts: 3
So, how does the R5 compare to the A7siii currently after all of the FW updates?

I'm hoping to get a bargain on the R5 which is currently hovering just above A7siii prices. I guess the early bashing of the R5/R6 was bad for marketing but good for me since it seems to represent better pricing/value for me.

Also the lens selection, while less than the sony E mount, the RF seem to have a better quality lens (with easy use of EF lens).

For a hybrid work, r5 seems to be a no brainer with the higher pixel count.

The main downsides for r5 seem to be :

• overheating
  • normal 4k lower quality
  • low light??
  • dynamic range
  • limited and expensive lens (but quality seems to be par non)
  • no audio at 120
  • big file sizes and arduous processing

Upsides:

• 8k/4k oversample
  • much higher pixel count
  • better quality lens and more IS integration
  • better AF
  • better stabilisation (but I've heard of the IBIS wobble, some say FW updates fix it while others say contrary).

I've researched quite a lot on these two systems (thanks to my ADHD) but I would like to hear experienced voices from users themselves. Also the information from different firmware versions so I don't know what is the up to date status of the EOS R5.

Therefore I'm trying to justify the downsides and I hope you can add to my research

The main downsides for r5 seem to be :

• overheating - I'm not sure on improvements here. looks like RAW lite has made some strides and I'm expecting to only capture short videos. However, does the record time recover if only under photo use and not turned off? Ie taking photos in weddings all day but I want to capture short 120p videos occasionally. Im hoping I don't need to turn the R5 off to retain video capture after all day photo capture. I'm not a big fan of external recorders at this point in time.  
  • normal 4k lower quality - Not a big deal for me but I still hope that photography does not reduce record time. 
  • low light - definitely not going to win against the A7siii due to physically large photosites but actually decent when all things considered.
  • dynamic range - Probably my most major gripe from videos seen on youtube. However does the clog3 improve this to get close enough to the a7siii in practicality?
  • limited and expensive lens (but quality seems to be par non) - non-issue since I can save up, looks like the lens will be better long term compared to E mount.
  • no audio at 120 - non-issue but there are workarounds (ie external recorders).
  • big file sizes and arduous processing - I've heard that the RAW lite makes this a much better experience compared to earlier firmwares, but how does it compare to sony (which seems to have seamless integration and no proxies required).
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow