Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,652
Re: I was wrong about JIP

randolin wrote:

victorav wrote:

randolin wrote:

Searching wrote:

Kiwisnap wrote:

Pretty sure JIP had nothing much to do with any of these products. They would have been well along the design and prototype route, if not planned manufacture, by the time they took over.

Agree 100%.

Ditto.

To me the mFT era has come to a close (Olympus in particular, GH-type bodies of no interest as I am not into video). I recall two articles which spell out why it ended badly for Olympus. The one a great rant (long and entertaining read), the other a cool business point of view:

https://unlockingolympus.com/2020/06/what-went-wrong-with-olympus/

https://sansmirror.com/newsviews/2020-mirrorless-camera/so-why-did-olympus-fail.html

How could OM Digital Solutions do better than Olympus?
They'd need lots of cash to do more than repackaging available stuff into that PL7 (no VF option; for me doa). But I'm happy with what is available from both major mFT manufacturers. It's way more than I ever need, particularly when I consider my soon enough completed 8 decades. Even GAS will find an end.

Wrong. Nikon didn't need more cash did they. How a business spends it's money is just as important as how much they make. Under Olympus corp, they had many scandels, quick Google search will show you. I imagine wasted funds was a problem, and may still be.

If the new company can effectively restructure for a smaller market then they will survive. Easier said then done of course.

I'd be all in favor.

And about Nikon's future ...who knows? The contraction of the camera market may see in the end two largish players, Canon and Sony (alphabetical order) and some niche players. I think Nikon's photo division lost money during the last three years? Would seem to me Nikon needs incom, not losses. - It's all such an unpleasant thing to look at/follow.

Should look at nikons recent fincials. Their restructure was successful.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow