What happened to the FA 21 Limited?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Breakfastographer 2 Contributing Member • Posts: 544
Re: What happened to the FA 21 Limited?

James O'Neill wrote:

MarBa wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

MarBa wrote:

But if this new FF limited is sharp and at least 2.4 .. then I'll for sure buy it.

All existing FA ltds are all faster than f/2 and very sharp
All existing DA ltds are slower than f/2

There are 20 and 21mm lens faster than f/2 on the market, so it's possible.

I'm not sure the 1/3 of a stop between 1.8 and 2 makes a lot of difference. Or the half stop between 2.8 and 2.4 for that matter.

On the images of the 21, it looked kind of small. So I think it will not be 2 or less. I'd be happy with 2.1

The photo here shows the body has a wider diameter than the existing fa ltds - assuming the base is the same size there's the bulge before the focus scale https://www.dpreview.com/news/2781433966/ricoh-announces-pentax-d-fa-85mm-f1-4-d-fa-21mm-limited-and-da-16-50mm-f2-8 - but if you run the video at 9:15 you can see the front element isn't the full size of the front of the lens (we'd often have a badge there, but this is even larger), so it's hard to judge. They may not have disclosed the aperture because to keep the quality acceptable the iris might not open to the maximum the glass allows.

In an ideally designed lens, the margin between iris and glass should be limited to what manufacturing variation requires, because the rest just results in unnecessary weight. E.g. compare FA 35/2 vs. DA 35/2.4. Same optics, different iris and front glass size.

That said, I've encountered lenses where the front seemed unnecessarily large for the advertised aperture, even somewhat older ones. In large-aperture 50mm and 85mm lenses released in the last five years or so, starting with the Art and Otus, front elements have tended to be vastly enlarged compared to iris size, and I've written about the explanation for that as well. I suspect the D FA 21mm is not that kind of lens, though.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow