1.4x TC or 2x TC with R5 + 100-400 ii (considering close-up photography)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sheeno Junior Member • Posts: 44
1.4x TC or 2x TC with R5 + 100-400 ii (considering close-up photography)

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying an R5 with the 100-400 ii. My photography is mostly wildlife and insect macros, so I'm tempted to get a TC to go with my set-up. I'm just trying to work out which to go for.

I realise that for BIF and other fast-moving subjects, the 1.4x will usually be preferable due to better AF performance. However, I do a lot of insect macro photography so I'm very interested to find out what the difference in resolution is between the two teleconverters, in terms of comparing a sbot with the 2x TC to one with the 1.4x cropped in to the same view as the 2x TC. Whilst I imagine that extra reach of the 2x will offset the softness of having a higher magnification TC - otherwise no-one would use the 2x TC - I'm interested to know just how much more detail it resolves.

If anyone has experience of taking macro photos with the 100-400 ii and both of these two TCs then I would love to hear them (particularly adapted on an R body) - just how much better if the 2x TC for this purpose?. Or, if anyone is kind enough to take a sample shot to show the difference between the 2x TC with this lens and the 1.4x TC cropped in, then I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow