RF 35mm vs EF 50mm an economics question. Does it REALLY offer that much for the money?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gedansky Regular Member • Posts: 267
RF 35mm vs EF 50mm an economics question. Does it REALLY offer that much for the money?

I know that people will immediately jump in and tell me the RF 35mm is better. But, one topic rarely approached is, when is something “good enough”.

I recently bought the RP with 24-105mm f/4-7.1. Then I bought the adapter for my EF 50mm f/1.8. It’s a perfect light weight walk around combo. And I paid less than $900 for everything. (Which is still a lot for me).

Then I saw the 35mm. I had always preferred a slightly wider FOV. My zooms tend to start at 16 or 17mm and the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM pancake was a favorite prime. It had great reviews, most preferred it over the 50mm for versatility. Some even argued it was sharper than the L or ART versions, and it was image stabilized. But, it was $500. And, for me, that’s a LOT. Even if, by experienced photography standards, it’s considered cheap (“affordable”) for a lens.

Then my dad gave me $200 for my birthday with a note reading “enjoy yourself”. So I got greedy, pulled another $300 from my private photography fund, and bought it.

For two days it sat in the box. Then I took it out to try it.  
It’s small, light, fast, sharp, and I have been second guessing it since I bought it Monday.

Is it really worth $500?
Does it really bring that much improvement to the table?
Is it $500 better than my EF 50mm?
Does the extra 15mm of FOV that I gain over the 50mm, or the macro function add THAT much for the money?

OR, should I just return it, be happy with the RF 24-105mm and the adapted 50mm? If I NEED 35mm FOV, should I just shoot with the zoom at 35 f/4.5 or back up a few more feet with the 50mm and save $500 for another day?

Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow