K3 review from PC mag

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JeremieB Senior Member • Posts: 1,026
Re: K3 review from PC mag

Valeriu 64 wrote:

What did Pentax gain if it didn't put tilting screen and astrotracer in Pentax K3III? This caused many Pentax customers to give up buying the K3III. Many Pentax customers are not so much interested in birds in flight, but astrotracer and tilting screen do. In this fierce competition between camera manufacturers, you have to offer so that your customers do not go to other brands, it is a reality not a philosophy. That's why many Pentaxians went to Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Nikon. You can't wait 2-3 years to have a camera with a tilting screen, when most cameras usually have this for years. If Pentax did not put astrotracer in K3III, it had to put in pack an O-GPS

GPS is lacking, not astrotracer.

I still think the main issue is that every Pentax user wants to want this camera, because it's a new release after quite some time. Truth is that it's probably not targeting everyone though.

If your main interests are astro or landscapes on tripod, you may probably be better served by a K3II or a K1II. But still, if you want to do astro or landscape on tripod with K3III, you can - it's just not as comfortable.  Reversely, how many action oriented cameras do have an astrotracer feature ? Probably none. As often, ultimately I think their decisions make sense, and at least they suit me.

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow