Raw Therapee Help!

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mal69
Mal69 Regular Member • Posts: 159
Raw Therapee Help!

So I was out a few days back in Edinburgh and shot some pictures on my Fuji XA-5 and I got back home, switched on my projector and laptop and brought up Raw Therapee, I like jpeg but the ability to recover detail in RAW files interests me and from what I have seen of using Raw Therapee it works but I am having problems.

I cannot understand what controls I should use, I don’t want to be messing around for hours for a single image I just want to recover some details and ensure I can transfer the RAW file as a saved jpeg, this is where I run into difficulty.

I open the program, it then adds all the files I shot from the card, I then click a file, it shows it in the window, it seems to be doing demosaicing, sharpening, chromatic aberration corrections etc etc to the file, after this I am a bit lost as the level of control is intimidating and overwhelming to me so I decided to try the pre-set modes, see if one interested me.

The pop 2 pre-set seemed to add cloud detail and ground level detail back into the image and improved it from where it was but again I am not sure, I view these files at 92 inch using a calibrated Epson TW9400 projector, it’s capable of DCI P3 colours at 100% but I was viewing the pictures using the BT- 709 calibrated settings, it looked okay but I felt the cloud detail was probably a touch over on Pop2 although it would work, I am also suspicious of any pre-set calling itself pop as in home cinema terms it usually means something is overblown, I am not sure if that is the case here.

My issue is I don’t have a clue on how to use the program, will that preset improve on the jpeg that was shot, it looked like it did, are there much better settings, I would like to know what other people do in Raw Therapee, if there is a minimum way to improve using fixed settings and perhaps batch file the images using those settings, I realise every image may need individual work so the batch file may not work so well.

I cannot even see a save button in Raw Therapee, where’s the save as Jpeg button?

I also have Fuji X RAW file program but that one doesn’t seem to be working for me, pictures open but the controls are not working, I am not sure why, I thought it was a free program, maybe it’s not and that’s why the controls are now locked off.

Any help appreciated on Raw Therapee and please treat me like a noob and understand that I have tried reading the instruction manual but I am still having difficulty,

-- hide signature --

M

Mal69's gear list:Mal69's gear list
Fujifilm X-A5 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow