Fuji for landscapes or use larger formats? Some examples ...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,645
Fuji for landscapes or use larger formats? Some examples ...

When it comes to landscapes, the general idea seems to be "the more the merrier" regarding pixels. The GFX system is allegedly ideal for landscapes, the A1 borderline but the D850, Z7 and A7RIV "just" right.

I made a high gloss book some time ago, A3 format, approximately 30x42cm or 11.7x16.5" and let people view this. Close up on their lap or on a table. Sometimes they put it down to have a more distant view. In the book I have put some higher resolution images, 40-80Mpx roughly and ask people whether they have any preference etc. You know the routine? Inconclusive at best the answers are, mostly about colours is my best guess.

Here are some images that made it into the book:

Tongariro, New Zealand

Page, Utah/Arizona

Pushkar, Rajasthan

Pokara, Nepal

Chitwan, Nepal

Yangshuo, China

Horseshoe Bend, Arizona

Lake Matheson, New Zealand

Milford Sound, New Zealand

2 comments here (maybe three??): all shots here were taken using Fuji cameras, from 16Mpx to 24 and a few 26Mpx. Reduced to 3000px. The shots printed were not necessarily always the most dynamic, but were randomly chosen to get a cross-DR idea as to what's going on.

And the prints don't have EXIF (they do but for the sake of a little comparison here they don't).

Obvious question: good enough? Or is this one of those "if you print large" (which hardly every anybody does in large quantities these days anyway imho) questions?

Now regarding the last photo from Milford Sound I asked myself the question what this shot would look like if I had chosen to take a GFX100? Or an A7RIV ...

Is the satisfaction level already reached or am I simply not seeing it? I lurk around the Medium Format forum now and again and also look at images posted there, including the ones from The Greg (the traitor dude from way back...) but find it hard to see much reason to ditch my current gear and go A1/GFX100 etc.

Thanks for looking.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +9 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow