GM 14 initial test, rear filter usage and sample images

Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,168
one trick pony

randomguy wrote:

Malling wrote:

1. randomguy wrote:

Sure but I would at least expect a prime to be able to compete with 2.8 zooms at 2.8. My 14GM wasn't anywhere near my Sigma 14-24 at 2.8. The Sigma was just better at everything except sun stars.

you probably got a lemon. My copy where better at 2.8 from what I seen on these UW zooms.

How about at close range? My copy definitely looked something like the results here while the Sigma is as sharp at close range as it is at distance:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1559&Camera=1538&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=1535&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

ups - I did not see that they added the ISO 12233 chart shots.

That looks terrible - having said that this is not the normal use case for that type of lens. And I'd not base my decisions on 1200 mm wide ISO 12233 test charts for any ultra wide angle lens.

The GM 14 is calculated for infinity performance - as said before IMHO this is a one trick pony for astrophotography and I will keep mine for that reason alone.

But for the rest the G 12..24 is the far better option being as sharp stopped down and similar in weight and just a bit larger.

The GM 14 is the worst new GM lens by the measures of the mind-blowing good GM35 and GM50 I got recently - that's a bit of a disappointment but nothing to write home about to long and exhausting.

I will get the GM 12..24 loaner this weekend for X checking and will publish my unbiased results.

I am a bit surprised that the testers did not do any kind of proper evaluation - it looks like thorough testing is a thing of few well known good testers.

Got other stuff to do and it's summer in the city - keep riding my new bike - this weekend new tires for test.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow