Safari Cam? RX100 VII, Lumix ZS200, or SLR/Mirrorless??

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kyley New Member • Posts: 24
Safari Cam? RX100 VII, Lumix ZS200, or SLR/Mirrorless??

Hi All,

I have a Canon T3i SLR with a nice Tamron lens and an okay Canon zoom lens (not super sharp). I also have a Sony RX100 (III or IV) that isn't working 100% reliably. Haven't really used either in years. I'm going on an African safari in a month and would like to take some great shots (wildlife, scenery, etc), but photography isn't quite as big of a hobby as it used to be for me. So I also don't want to spend a ton. And since we're going all over Africa (several different countries), it wouldn't be ideal to carry a big heavy camera (but I'd consider it). Obviously for a safari, it would be great to have a long zoom lens.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

- RX100 VII with great lens, image quality, compact, and a decent zoom (200mm)? Although a lot of money, it is still a lot less than a mirrorless and good zoom lens...

- Panasonic Lumix ZS200 with lesser lens, image quality, but greater zoom (360mm)? Cheaper, and more zoom, but I don't know - would I not be happy with the image quality?

- Other compact cameras worth considering (doesn't have to be pocketable of course)??

- Go "big" and get a mirrorless cam like the Sony Alpha 7C or A6600? I'm really hesitant to pull the trigger on something so expensive. And I have a lot to learn and not much time to do so. And I haven't even looked at what a zoom lens might cost me...

- Lug the older Canon SLR around? Probably won't do that tho. If I did, I might have to buy a better zoom lens (but seems like a waste for an old camera...

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Kyle

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Panasonic ZS200 Sony a6600 Sony a7C Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow