"Picture style"

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,795
Re: "Picture style"

I use those preset as my default setting for my SOOC JPG shooting. However I consider it one of the preset tweaking on JPG only, which has saved me a lot of work to customize one.

I was used to shoot in Standard style while moving from RAW to JPG shooting (improved JPG engine of newer cameras). I heard a flatter output might benefit PP. However over the years I found found saturation, sharpness and contrast were the most usual routine I had to deal with. I then realized Vivid Picture Style provides me all of them. It suits most of my application (except portrait). This style makes SOOC JPG looking far better (more vibrant, less flat, more pop than other styles that is more pleasing to my eyes) than the default Standard or Natural style. If I can get the setting right on shooting, this can reduce a lot of my usual PP work. It helps me to come a step closer to reduce reliance on PP.

Only draw back, would produce more harsh skin tone leaving smaller room for touch up in PP.

I do a lot of HDR, shall do in-camera HDR sometimes. But mostly do it from Auto Exposure Bracketing shots on computer. I could have more DR to work with than the standard max +3ev, and I could use a more powerful software/hardware for better result than the in-camera canned feature.

My cameras have a wide range of Scenery Mode and Filter effect, similar to the art filter of some brands. I rarely used them...

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow