Really Glad I own the RF800 F11 - no giant bad boys for me.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
The Bad Photographer Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: Really Glad I own the RF800 F11 - no giant bad boys for me.

WanderingPhoto wrote:

Just wanted to chime in on why someone would want a giant telephoto in NYC, I live here and I am in the park all the time.

There is actually an active birding community in Central Park. There are lots of birds that stop by the park while migrating. Just in the last year, there has been a Snowy owl, Great Horned owl, Virginia Rail, loons, and others. There are a lot of hawks, falcons, kestrels, and others in and around the park. It is actually more common for me to see some of these birds in the city than in other places I have lived. It actually surprised me how much wildlife is around.

I have seen plenty of birders with the giant f4 600mms and no one bothers them. Central Park during the day is safe.

Separately the 800m f11 is an interesting lens. I am personally waiting for the 100-500mm to be back in stock for the versatility. It is certainly a great time to be a canon shooter as they are making some great cameras and lenses right now.

Here are some of my shots of birds from the last year.

Red Tailed Hawk from the roof of my old apartment building.

Great Horned Owl in Central Park.

Virgina Rail in Central Park.

Red Tailed Hawk takeoff.

Nice shots! I really like the horned owl photo.  Thanks.

The Bad Photographer's gear list:The Bad Photographer's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow