Cameras and Phones

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aKansasKid Junior Member • Posts: 46
Cameras and Phones

Last year my daughter was taking a photography class and was despondent early that all her D3400 pictures were worse than her iPhone Xr. Thought some here might enjoy my reply then:

A Goldwing is an incredible motorcycle. Supremely engineered by Honda to provide the ultimate traveling experience. Its motor might be the smoothest engine ever made. It has automotive cruise control, an air shock for a pillowy ride, a built-in infotainment center. Nothing else on two wheels will take you coast to coast as comfortably.

An pre-2006 Kawasaki Concours has its roots as a powerful race bike. It has the full fairing, windshield, and saddle bags of a touring bike, but that’s it. Its engine, fuel system, and electronics even in 2006 were unchanged from the mid-80s technology of its inception. It was buzzy, noisy, harsh ... and stone-cold reliable and fast as hell.

I had one of each, along with other touring bikes. But I held on to the Connie the longest and gave it away with 240K miles on it while it was still running strong.

One was one of the finest examples of human engineering, the other a ruffian in a worn tux. The Connie was way more fun. Did I say I kept it the longest and put the most miles on it?

What of the Goldwing? The best review I read of it was two sentences long: Pros: it’s a two-wheeled Acura. Cons: it’s a two-wheeled Acura.

And what’s an Acura when you’re wanting a motorcycle!? At least half of motorcycling, like bicycling, is the visceral experience.

Which brings me to cameras. The Germans have always understood the visceral experience. German tools are lovingly described with terms like glide and snick. They understand the delight in working with your hands.

A modern iPhone takes some of the best pictures imaginable. All by itself. The visceral experience is relegated to pushing a place on the screen called a button. It doesn’t even snick. And the phone did all the work while you just watched.

A camera, though, makes you be the process. Its job is to do your bidding accurately and satisfyingly. The shutter and its button damn well better snick, and the zoom barrel damn well better glide. And they do.

If you want a great picture, pick up your phone. If YOU want to take a photograph, use a camera.

Nikon D3400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow