Does this lens swap make sense?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
el_mediocre Junior Member • Posts: 34
Does this lens swap make sense?

Short history here - a kind gift got me back into photography after 15+ years with a Z6ii and a 24-70 f/2.8 S lens. An insane amount of overtime at work has allowed me to pick up a 70-200 f/2.8 S as well as one of the 85mm primes... plus I put myself on the waitlist at the local shop for the 105mm macro (yeah, I fall into hobbies pretty deeply.) I also suspect I'll get one or both of the compact primes when they show up, depending on price. My primary interest was in cityscapes at first, but I've tried my hand at street photography this go-around and have really been enjoying it. Video usage on the Z6ii has been sporadic, but I've been pleased with the results I've gotten and expect to do more of that soon. I also shoot portraits on occasion for people I like. Pretty firmly in the hobbyist camp for the foreseeable future.

I've gravitated to zoom lenses in the past for cost/practicality reasons, but my time with the 85mm has gotten me to reconsider the 24-70 in the lineup. The weight of the 24-70 is fine, but it it is kinda large and imposing for street usage sometimes. I've reviewed the photos I've taken with it and a good 65-70% of my use of that lens has been between 50mm and 70mm.

So while the 24-70 S is excellent, I've been thinking about selling it in exchange for a 14-30 f/4 and a 50mm prime. The sharpness of the 85mm is kinda unreal, and it seems like the 50mm is right on par with that. I want to keep some kind of wide angle lens around, but it's starting to feel more like an occasional requirement instead of a constant one, know what I mean? So the 14-30 would give me wide angles when I need it, and I suspect having an ultra-wide option will lead me to more experimentation as well.

Does this seem like a good idea? Has anyone else found themselves moving from zooms to primes? If so, how has that worked out for you? Would love to hear your thoughts.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow