processing ground frames with light painting

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP knight427 Regular Member • Posts: 177
Re: processing ground frames with light painting

swimswithtrout wrote:

knight427 wrote:

nighthiker wrote:

To be honest: It's just looking fake. And this is an astro forum. The friends of light-pollution met elsewhere.

Like I said, the light painting was a fallback to hedge against other challenges. Appreciate the opinion, but I give my condolences to those who suffer your self-righteousness IRL.

Light pollution aside, your efforts at light painting did not work. The foreground reminds me of the old westerns where to simulate night, they just underexposed a daylight shot. Your foreground looks exactly the same with the well defined harsh shadows. You could have achieved a better effect shooting the foreground without any light painting, by shooting it in twilight before the MW was visible and blending it in at post.

I just tried the Blue Hour Method for the first time a few weeks ago. That's a good suggestion. I would have needed to commit more time to this shoot to do it, but really that's probably the most practical way to shoot this location given the bridge situation preventing very long exposures. And adding up all the post processing time, it would have been a good investment (except for the part where I give up a nice summer evening with my family).

One issue I'm having on the blue hour composite is that the tree leaf edges have a deep blue edge which isn't blending great with the sky frame. I'll keep playing with pixel size and other parameters in the "select and mask" menu. I suppose it would help to shift my sky into a deep blue temperature as a last resort. But as a question to those who have done the blue hour method a lot...do you always chose a blue-tinted sky, or do you use extensive color shifting of the foreground?

Your assessment is spot on. While the foreground isn't actually underexposed, it is intentionally pushed down several stops in post. Allen K suggested I attempt to clone out the deep shadow from the tree. I'm going to give that a try. But that still leaves me with the "old western fake night" look or else I bring the exposure back up and live with the extreme light painted look.

knight427's gear list:knight427's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow