Sigma 18-250 autofocus problems

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike WW New Member • Posts: 14
Sigma 18-250 autofocus problems

I've got a Sigma DC 18-250 on a Nikon 3300.  A couple of years ago, before the pandemic, it had started to get balky about focusing.  If I gave the focus ring a little nudge it would snap into focus.  Seemed like it was getting better with the little use it's had since then.  But on vacation last week I got a blast of wind, somewhat dusty in the desert of Utah, and it stopped autofocusing.  It also has a gritty feel if I manual focus it, suggesting some grit got in between the focus ring and the barrel.

So... is there anything I can do, vacuum, try to squirt some alcohol up there while it's pointed down to try to flush it out?  Canned air like one would use on a computer?  Or is sending it in to Sigma or elsewhere the only solution?

What's even more troubling to me is I somewhat regularly go to places like that and I'd really be unhappy if I spent good money for repairs and had it happen again.  Or is it just the cost of doing business and a common problem with all or many lens makes?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow