Canon 70-200 f/4 USM L IS II + Sigma MC-11 on A7Riv?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,228

Anyone using this combination? Yes, I know Sony makes a 70-200 f/4, and Tamron has its 70-180 f/2.8, both in Sony mount, but the Canon might make more sense for me for its better optical performance including in the outer field towards the long end, its sealed and non-extending construction, plus white color and native tripod mount availability, which I would like and the Tamron doesn't have (I believe there are third-party tripod mounts for the Tamron, but I have my doubts about using one given that it has a lightweight plastic body that wasn't designed for one, and a user reported on these forums a crack in his lens just from (carelessly) packing it around). I don't need the f/2.8 max aperture of the Tamron.

So, for anyone who has used the Canon 70-200 f/4 USM L IS II + Sigma MC-11 + A7Riv combo:

1) how is the AF functionality, across different situation and modes?

2) What are my stabilization options, and performance? I presume that I can't use both IBIS and lens stabilization together? -- they wouldn't know how to work together. But can I choose either IBIS or lens stabilization, or am I restricted to IBIS? If lens stabilization works on its own (for stable subjects and camera, that would be lens mode 1), does lens IS mode 2 (for panning) also work?

3) any quirks, issues, or observations?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me on any of these issues.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow