Compact APS-C system

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JustAnotherSnapshooter New Member • Posts: 20
Compact APS-C system

I currently own a Nikon D5100 with a 18-105mm, 35mm DX and Tokina 11-16mm. Lately I'm not that satisfied with the images any more. I used to just point and shoot and get good, in focus pics with the 18-105, but not anymore.

Anyway, that's not the issue here. Since I'm looking for a new system (DX is dead) it got me thinking about my needs. The camera will mostly be used for  family trips and vacations, which tend to involve serious hiking. I'd really like more compactness and a lighter weight. Taking the camera with me always requires thought about how I'm going to carry it, and what I can't carry because the camera is taking up previous space.

I want to maintain or upgrade image quality and get better autofocus for tracking the kids.

Lens wise, I *need* a superzoom because the family doesn't enjoy waiting for me to change lenses. I'd like a good prime, 35mm or 50mm equivalent, because I really enjoy shooting that. I barely use the Tokina since it's quite heavy and 16mm is too wide to use as a walk around lens for me.

So there seem to be 3 systems to consider.

Fuji is the most fleshed out system, but (very) expensive and also heavy if you go for the higher range cameras. I'm not convinced about the build quality just reading random things from Fuji users. The Fuji 18-135  has a bad reputation.

Canon M is actually a very appealing system, but no weather sealing (good build quality reports from the users though) and not best reputation for lens quality. Might be killed off soon.

Nikon then. The Z50. There's little point in taking my current lenses over to a new system. The F mount adapter is expensive for the lenses I have. Nikon doesn't look like they will give much support to crop sensor camera's. There's no superzoom available.

Any advice ?

Nikon D5 Nikon D5100 Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow