Does anyone else do this.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jack Calypso Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Re: It's personal; takes practice

TacticDesigns wrote:

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

DankCO wrote:

I cannot take photos using the LCD. It just doesn't work for me. Putting my eye to the VF is like shutting the world out, and I can concentrate better on the photo. Not to mention that I can hardly see the LCD in daylight + I'm farsighted. I just feel if my eye is not on the VF, I'm doing it wrong. Don't know if that makes sense.

No, it doesn't make sense. There is no "wrong" (or "right") way of working.

+1

I would agree with this.

What works for you, works for you.

Don't worry about other people.

In the history of photography viewfinders are newcomers - for the first hundred years they didn't exist and people did fine.

+1

I did a bit of art directing for some photoshoots.

A few of the photographers would have an 8x10 film camera.

One of the photographers let me use his camera to frame the shot. And use the loop to check focus.

Getting to frame a picture with that huge ground glass is something else.

You also need to drape a dark cloth over your head and the camera back, and then bob your head side to side and up and down, so you could see the image with full illumination (unless you were lucky enough to have a Fresnel ground glass).

lots of times when the LCD is better. Try composing a picture with the camera high over the heads of people in front of you; or at ground level.

+1

And cameras without a VF can be smaller.

For vacations I love small cameras and shoot with the rear LCD all the time.

For me personally . . . I think I am framing within my mind. I am just using the VF or rear LCD to get the camera to be pointing to where I am thinking in my mind.

But . . . an LCD can act as a way to view your composition in 2D (a little bit larger) to see if it works.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

That's pretty much the way I work, too. I would note that I don't shoot much action type shots. I wouldn't hesitate to use the EVF when  I do.

I never heard people complain about their Hasselblad having a waist-level finder.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow