Upgrading from Sony a6000

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ruth11 Regular Member • Posts: 100
Upgrading from Sony a6000

I’ve had my Sony a6000 for about 6 years now. I stopped doing photography for a while in that time as I was frustrated with my own ability to compose nice photos. 
I have decided to give it another go and now I feel that the a6000 is too small - my eyes are older and I would like a bigger/better screen. 
I have decided to focus on creative lighting/macro and wildlife photography mainly - for walking around snaps I find my phone is pretty good enough for sharing on Facebook!

I am stuck between wanting to go full frame mirrorless - as this seems to be the future - or apsc dslr. I am on a budget. I don’t want to spend more than £2k on a body and a couple of lenses (I realise for full frame wildlife I probably need to drop £2k on a lens to get reach but if I can get away with a 70-300 or something for a while, that will do!) Happy to buy used.

I want good AF - ideally eye AF… I would like IBIS but not sure if this is a necessity? I’ve been looking at the Sony A7R II, the Canon RP, Nikon z6 or maybe a Nikon/canon apsc dslr… I’ve picked the A7R from Sony because of the high resolution - for cropping if needed when doing wildlife - from what I understand the others in this range won’t have that advantage over apsc as the resolutions are the same? Or is this not even a real consideration? I feel like I’ve read so much I’m confusing myself!

I really want the creamy bokeh and subject separation.of full frame but worry about the reach when doing wildlife? Hence the thought about apsc…

can anyone help me choose? I am going around in circles… I suppose what I really want is to get into the right system - so that when I feel I can stretch my budget further, I have some of the right lenses already to go with the future better body purchase… which makes me lean to canon as they can use their lenses on both mirrorless and dslr…

Thanks in advance… I hope this makes some sense!

ruth11's gear list:ruth11's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Nikon Z6 Sony a6000 Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow