G9 Fw 2.4 thoughts and questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
G9 Fw 2.4 thoughts and questions

What's not to like? An "old" camera, still very competitive, updated with new features that improve usability and quality of the results. Thank you, Panasonic ! Very happy with my choice.

After some testing (still need more testing though 😛), I have noticed that AF in video is improved quite a bit. Much less breathing once the focus has been acquired. However, I noticed that some lenses perform better than others, and not necessarily how we could expect it. For example, my best focusing lens in video is the P12-35 2.8. it just works very well, almost like pdaf in video. The 35-100 is also very good but obviously, because of the thinner dof, any micro adjustment is more visible. However, one of my favourite lenses behaves quite poorly: it's the PL15 1.7. I love the focal length as a general walk-around lens and I love the results I'm getting but video focusing is hesitating, slightly noisy and slower to react. Just to be clear: this behaviour was there before the fw update, but there's no change to notice unfortunately.

What is interesting, is that my Olympus 25 1.8 works quite a bit better on the G9, or even the old first gen Oly 75-300 focusing is more sure footed and pleasing in video. I have seen a video testing the Sigma 1.4 trio and they performed very well with v2.4 (I only have the 56 and can confirm). So the "Dfd" magic is not necessarily due to some special compatibility.

My conclusion is that my 15 1.7 is one of the poor focusing lenses in video, and that is a shame since many vloggers and YouTubers use that lens to try test m43 cameras. And they often come to bad conclusions. Or maybe it's my copy? What is your experience with this lens?

Anyway, happy shooting to everyone ☺️

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +11 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow