Soon to be released Ryzen 5000 CPU's w/ integrated graphics, Intel, or neither?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Big Swifty Regular Member • Posts: 462
Soon to be released Ryzen 5000 CPU's w/ integrated graphics, Intel, or neither?

I was planning on a Ryzen 5 5600X build, but the whole GPU situation is completely insane here, as I'm sure it is wherever you are as well. Barely anything is in stock and if it is it's going for crazy prices. So now I'm considering a build that includes a CPU with integrated graphics, which I'm assuming won't be an issue, or at least not a major one.

No gaming; just PS, LR Classic, Capture One, Aurora HDR 2019, Nik Collection. I'd be fine using only one monitor on this build. At this point I'm not really interested in overclocking, though my two primary choices both allow it. I would be using 32gb of the recommended RAM, figuring that the integrated GPU will be taking up a portion of that.

Came across an article saying that AMD is releasing their Ryzen 5 5600G and 7 5700G in early August. I'm interested in the former.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16720/amd-ryzen-5000g-zen-3-apus-for-desktop-coming-august-5th

"If we put side by side the Ryzen 5 5600X, the CPU, with Ryzen 5 5600G, we see a lot of similarities. Both have six cores and 12 threads, both run at 65 W, and both have 24 PCIe lanes.

However, there are a number of differences as well. The 5600X CPU has an extra +200 MHz on the turbo frequency, whereas the 5600G APU has +200 on the base frequency and it also has integrated graphics. On top of this, the CPU has PCIe 4.0 rather than PCIe 3.0, and the CPU has double the cache."

On the surface, the 5600G seems like it would be an adequate, if not exactly equal substitute for the 5600X. Any difference in processing speed looks to be small enough that it wouldn't concern me. I'm unsure if the differences in PCIe lanes and half the L3 cache are cause for concern. Basic research suggests no, but that's just based on the opinions of others and for all I know they know less than me (though not likely). The Intel option I'm looking at has 12gb of L3 cache, but I'm not sure if that's comparing apples to bicycles.

There are less expensive Intel options, and I don't know what the price will be in my country on the yet to be released 5 5600G, but I'm going to assume it will be close to the i5-11600k, which on paper looks to share similar specs and benchmark performance. The intel CPU does use more power though.

Thoughts? The little research I've done seems to suggest that AMD is the better option. Am I okay in assuming a CPU with integrated graphics is at minimum a workable stopgap until GPU's come back down to Earth?

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow