Panasonic focus stacking – an inexact science?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kiwigirl
kiwigirl Senior Member • Posts: 1,861
Panasonic focus stacking – an inexact science?

My macro subjects are usually insects but recently our club has had a couple of fungi shoots so I have taken the opportunity to try some focus stacking with these stationary objects. Because the camera is usually down low on a bean bag or teetering on a tripod on unstable ground it’s not easy to manually focus the start point of a series of bracketed shots without moving the camera. (G85)

I had a few shots where the front was out of focus and others where the back of the specimen was out of focus. But Zerene does a really good job of combining the rest of the shots!

I had a read of the manual and it seems there is really no logic to how it works? Apparently the closer you are to the subject the smaller are the “steps” that the camera moves? Further away from the subject and the “steps” are larger? So in effect it is just trial and error to get things right?

Have yet to try this but I found a piece of stiff clear plastic that I have placed a few marks on so that I can place it in front of my subject, focus on it, then whip it away quickly when the sequence starts.

So what do you set your camera at for fungi? I am assuming focusing in 1xstep, with 50 images maybe? Has anyone worked out just how many steps and how many images are needed to get the required DOF? I was working with F5.6, considered the sweet spot of M4/3.

Missed the front edge of this one.

kiwigirl's gear list:kiwigirl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow