Great for still objects in good light, but bad in poor light and for fast action.

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
AshleyMC Senior Member • Posts: 1,395
Re: Great for still objects in good light, but bad in poor light and for fast action.

Thanks for sharing some very nice bird photos.

Your brief review, based on actual experience in the field, realistically mentions the relevant points about the FZ80.

Lacking sophisticated AF support, the FZ80 is good for “reaching” stationary objects at far distances — in your case, they are birds perching. (Same can be said about the FZ300.)

The zoom range is incredible, reaching up over 3,000mm! However, as expected, past 1500, it get quite bad quality.

I would stick to the native optical range of 20-1200mm equivalent. Anything “longer” than the native optical maximum is simulated by the firmware cropping and upscaling the image which, as you noted, is “quite bad.”

Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. Just be mindful of the simulated range.

The high ISO levels create a TON of noise.

You tell me!

I would not go beyond ISO 800. (On my FZ300, I stay at ISO 100 most of the time.)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow