Lenses for wedding photography?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,762
Re: Lenses for wedding photography?

A lot of it will come down to style and personal preference.

Personally, I moved back to Canon for the RF 24-70/2.8, for weddings. For years I've shot a 35/85 combo, but it just doesn't give you the same flexibility as a mid zoom, and they're that good now - that no couple will notice the difference between primes and a good zoom.

For me, the 28-70 sits in "no mans land". It doesn't offer the same flexibility/size/weight package of the 24-70, and doesn't blow out the background like the f1.2 primes.

I also don't really see the point in a macro. You're never going to go "full macro" on the rings, and the R5 has plenty of cropping power to give the level of detail shots needed.

For most of the day, I've the 24-70 on one body, and 50/1.2 on the other.

I'll typically have the 70-200 packed if it's a particularly large church, or difficult vicar.

I'll also typically swap out one of the lenses for the 35/1.4 when on the dance floor - depending on if I'm using flash or not.

Again, no right or wrong answer - just make sure you've got sufficient backup kit if both a body and lens dies a death.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Leica Q2 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow