Is it ok to use the fastest shutter speed the camera can provide?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jbase New Member • Posts: 7
Is it ok to use the fastest shutter speed the camera can provide?

Hello.

I own a Sony A6400, I am a beginner trying to learn how to take photos. I mostly shoot outside when there is a lot of sun -- street life, architecture, etc. Since my hands are pretty shaky (used to be like that since I was kid) I usually set shutter speed to 1/4000, aperture to F/5.6-ish, then set ISO according to zebra. I only shoot in manual for now.

At home I shoot table top videos for my Youtube channel with the same camera. So, one day I came home after a photo session and when I put my camera in video mode I noticed the contrast was much lower than usual. Soon I figured that out. The weirdest thing about A6400 is that it shares aperture and shutter speed settings between photo and video modes. So, my shutter was still at 1/4000. Once I put it back to normal 1/50 (I live in a 50 Hz country), adjusted ISO accordingly, the contrast was immediately back to normal too.

Now, it is obvious, that fast shutter speeds are not good for shooting video, at least with this camera. So, my question is: should I actually avoid using the fastest shutter setting in photo mode too? I already know that one shouldn't use high aperture values, with most lenses if you go above F/10, image gets pretty bad. So, Is it the case with shutter speeds too? Provided I have tons of luminosity, should I still stick to, say, 1/1000 or 1/2000? I'm using mechanical shutter, of course. Thanks for your answers!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow