E-M5 III all points cluster C-AF example

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,640
E-M5 III all points cluster C-AF example

Recently I went to a local botanical garden to shoot some flowers and bugs. To my delight there were quite a number of Zebra Longwing butterflies working over the plants. However, they were not about to land, and continued to flit about erratically........maddening. Finally in desperation, I decided that I would set the camera up like I set my E-M1 III for shooting birds in flight and see what would happen. I was using my now standard bug setup, the 75-300 with a 16mm extension tube which gives me far focus limit at about 15-18 feet. But this time I altered the settings to shoot C-AF, all focus points, ISO 2500 to keep the shutter speed up, and low sequential silent burst.

It actually did pretty well on these flitty critters.......maybe even better than pretty well. In two series of bursts of 18 images, only two images in each burst were OOF and those were near the edge of the frame. I was pleased to see that the C-AF in the E-M5 III was able to keep hold of the erratic movement of these insects..... kind of fun.

Here's an image from one of these sequences, shot from a distance of about 15 feet. First image is the original OOC jpeg without any changes, other than resizing for the web. The second image is the crop from the Workspace converted raw file and run through Topaz Denoise AI and than adjusted to taste in Light room. I'll need to polish up my technique a bit more and adjust my settings, but I'm happy with this first result.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow