E-M5iii video mode to external recorder limited by battery not heat

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joe Lynch Senior Member • Posts: 2,175
E-M5iii video mode to external recorder limited by battery not heat

Just in case there are a few more E-M5.3 video mode users here...

I ran an informal static test using an Olympus E-M5.3 with 14-150 lens in video mode, with rear screen on and turned in flat on the body, fresh internal battery, 97F ambient but in shade, HDMI out to Ninja V recorder.  I did not record to the camera's card.  This combination ran for 1 hour 45 minutes unattended before the battery drained in the 5.3 and the camera shut down.   I typically need a little over an hour run time, and the battery life was my concern.  Not going to be a problem, looks like, will test in cooler ambient but direct sunlight conditions this morning.

The camera back was warm, about the same as the Ninja V.  The ProRes LT recording was fine.  So I can use the 5.3 as a backup or substitute for the 1X for video when needed, but without the Flat or Log profiles.  And the 5.3 setup is very light!  Another plus for me.

The camera body was on a tripod with a modified grip/L bracket but the Ninja V was mounted separately, not on the camera.  The Ninja V with 770 battery is heavy.

I've used the 5.3 successfully for Zoom calls with HDMI out to an HDMI to USB adapter before but never for more than 1/2 hour or so.  Worked fine for that also, and I am now pretty confident the camera will run for much longer calls.  I will give out long before the battery dies.

Joe

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow