GFX 100S L-Bracket Comparison

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MOD Hamiltionian Contributing Member • Posts: 929
GFX 100S L-Bracket Comparison

I'm rather picky about having a good L-bracket for the cameras I use. I find that there is no substitute for handling them in person so in what is a rather inefficient discriminatory method, I purchased them all to try out. The Really Right Stuff model typically sets the standard but still is not available. Here I am comparing the offerings from Kirk, SmallRig, and Rogeti. I reviewed the Rogeti one more thoroughly here , so will only present the major points in this post.

From right to left we have the SmallRig, Rogeti, and Kirk brackets:

The Rogeti and Kirk brackets are single piece with no grip extension, whereas the Smallrig and RRS brackets include a grip extension and separate, removable 'L' piece. The single piece design comes ends up roughly 50g lighter and is in theory stiffer, but the difference is not great enough to affect practical use.

Importantly, the ports are fully accessible without unscrewing the bracket on both the Kirk and Rogeti options. The downside is that the 'L' portion sticks out further on the left side of the camera to make the necessary space to access the rubber port covers.

For some reason the Chinese brackets (Smallrig, Rogeti, & others) tend to use the coin slot screws while the USA ones (RRS, Kirk) use a hex wrench. Personally I prefer the hex wrench as I can get the screw much tighter. All three 'L' brackets have built-in storage for the appropriate tool.

The Kirk bracket has one important trick up its sleeve. The 'L' portion of the bracket tightly cradles the strap mount on the side of the camera creating a second point of contact to the camera body. The result is that the Kirk bracket is by far the most stable of the brackets and prevents any pitch flex of the camera with respect to the plate that is present in the other brackets, as shown below:

It is tempting to add a set screw to make that connection even more secure.  Also note how deep the 'L' section is to allow enough space to access the ports.  This makes the Kirk and Rogeti brackets less comfortable to handhold than the SmallRig.

In Summary:

SmallRig:

• Removable 'L': Yes
  • Screw Type: Coin
  • Grip Extension: Yes
  • Port Accessible: No
  • RRS Lever Clamp Compatible: Yes

Rogeti:

• Removable 'L': No
  • Screw Type: Coin
  • Grip Extension: No
  • Port Accessible: Yes
  • RRS Lever Clamp Compatible: No
  • Built in Bubble Levels

Kirk:

• Removable 'L': No
  • Screw Type: Hex Wrench
  • Grip Extension: No
  • Port Accessible: Yes
  • Cradles Strap Mount

RRS:

• Removable 'L': Yes
  • Screw Type: Hex Wrench
  • Grip Extension: Yes
  • Port Accessible: ???

As with any comparison, there is not absolute correct answer here, only personal preference based on which features are important to you.  Tentatively the Kirk bracket is so far my favorite for its finish, hex screw, and strap mount cradle, but the bubble levels on the Rogeti have also proven to be highly useful.  On the SmallRig, having the 'L' portion removable is very convenient when wanting to shoot the camera handheld or as a more compact setup.  I hope this is useful and that your choice of which to use is easier than my own.

-- hide signature --

Stay Calm and Carry Cameras
https://thecentercolumn.com/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow