mac mini m1 and flaky panasonic video files

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gteague
gteague Senior Member • Posts: 2,986
mac mini m1 and flaky panasonic video files

so i've been struggling along with an aging 2014 imac (albeit a spec'd out model) which won't even show thumbnails for 10-bit video. but last week i traded it in to apple and i did one of my first clean installs in a decade or two on the m1 mini and thought all my video problems were over. and when i shot some 4.5k60p 10-bit hlg mov video and the mini worked perfectly with it i thought i was home free.

but i realized that the video was 'punched in' to an apc size sensor making my 85mm lens about a 105mm or so. so i changed video mode to 4k30p still 10-bit and mov and hlg and the mini couldn't deal with them. they wouldn't play in the finder and quicktime said they were mangled. i saw that my first files had been using h.265 and the second were h.264 and that was about the only significant difference aside from  a slight resolution change i could see.

this is very frustrating. my goal is to shoot 4k60p 10-bit hlg video but i found that you can't shoot at 60fps without it being a apc frame. but when you change to 30fps the mac doesn't like the change from h.265 to h.264 for some reason.

there's like dozens and dozens of video modes and i'm not a video shooter--i'm trying to learn. and there's mov (which you'd think would be the best for mac) and mp4 and ?avscd? (which i know i want to avoid) and hvec to choose from as well.

can someone recommend the highest quality mode for shooting full frame and another for the apc mode? it'd be a lot of trial and error for me to figure it out although i'm prepared to do it if necessary. and to my surprise it looks like there's some of the new ultra-high 5.xk modes which support full frame shooting if you're willing to shoot 24/30fps although i have no way to display anything higher than 4k right now.
thanks! /guy

-- hide signature --

"Before you take that shot, ask yourself: What Would HCB do?" ~/s

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica CL Panasonic S1 Panasonic S Pro 70-200mm F4 OIS Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow