k3iii deep review when ?"dpr" Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
MarBa Contributing Member • Posts: 884
Re: What I have noticed about their studio pictures...

PocketPixels wrote:

Since the blur was caused by shutter shock, DPR was correct to criticize this blur in its studio shots. I use the mechanical shutter to take all of my product photos, and I want to read reviews that resemble my actual use cases. (My Pentax cameras do not have electronic shutter.)

The D FA★ 50mm is a full-frame lens, so I'd rather see how the K-3 mk III performs with a DA lens. The DA★ 16–50mm, as the professional-grade APS-C lens, would be suitable…were it not 10 years old. Previous DPR reviews of the K-S2 and K-70 used the DA Limited 20–40mm, and this seems like a good match for the camera.

I think that the studio scene is a test of the sensor and thus it should be shot with the best possible lens and also (if needed) with electronic shutter to prevent shutter shock. Of course, the problem in this case is that Pentax did not send DPR a great lens for the test ... and the K-3 III does not have ES (yet).

I think that people who want to see problems .. will see the problems .. blur with some exposure times. Other people will realize that this was probably something very specific to DPR's setup/conditions. And simply note that for critical sharpness one has to check for shutter shock and either use pixel shift or change exposure time a bit .. or wait for ES.

I could not replicate shutter shock in my tests.

MarBa's gear list:MarBa's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow