Question about workflow/color management

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
RMcL Contributing Member • Posts: 905
Question about workflow/color management

In my “workflow” I’ve learned to rely heavily on the iPad Pro for majority of my post processing needs using Lightroom Mobile CC. LR Mobile is synced to LR Classic on my desktop PC and frequently I will continue editing on my PC / review results with my color calibrated 27” 4K wide gamut Dell monitor. My desktop monitor is currently calibrated to D65 to roughly match the white point of the iPad Pro display which happens to be slightly cooler with -6900K white point, but is a close enough match for my purposes. So far so good.

Up to now, I have never really explored the last step, printing, generally being satisfied with electronic images as the end result rather than physical paper images. My wife has been at me for a long time to start printing my images, so I finally ordered a Canon ImagePrograph-300 and it should arrive in next few days. On reading up a bit I realize that I will need to become acquainted with soft-proofing and hard-proofing, using correct ICC profiles for different paper types, etc., if I want to have a properly color managed end to end workflow. I’ve played around with this a little in Lightroom Classic so have some general understanding and familiarity.

So, with that said, my main question here is how have those of you that print setup your workflow in terms of color calibration at each step in the process? I’ve read recommendations to view paper prints using “D50” lighting. Some prefer even warmer lighting. I assume this means I should at-least re-calibrate my desktop monitor to a D50 whitepoint to achieve best color perceptual consistency when I intend to print? Any recommendations for specific lighting solutions and conditions for side by side viewing of prints?

I anticipate that my iPad Pro will become less relevant in a workflow with print as the endpoint as it has a cooler 6900K whitepoint and will potentially give misleading color perception….

Thoughts/tips?

RMcL's gear list:RMcL's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +7 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow