Sony a7S III after 2 weddings

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Funny Valentine
Funny Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,107
Sony a7S III after 2 weddings

I used the a7s III for 2 weddings, both as a video but also a photo camera. I've been using it for 2 months for some landscape work too.

As someone who was always very skeptical of Sony and disliked their cameras, the a7s III is my first Sony camera. It's the first Sony camera that I consider ergonomically good: flippy screen, EVF, deep grip, new menus, SD slots, etc... very good overall.

First I will start with the downsides:

- the IBIS is not that great for photography, compared to my Olympus gear. Not even close. Active Stabilisation for video make it more usable.

- The mode dial lock is annoying.

- in PAL the highest fps is limited to 100 fps. You have to switch to ntsc if you want to get 60 and 120 fps. The PAL needs 150 fps.

- The easiest way to activate tracking in video, you need to go through the touch screen. Why Sony ?

- animal AF only includes cats and dogs, and only in photo.

- 12mp is ok, but not a true con, I just wish the next a7sIV will have at least 24mp.

- why is the rolling shutter in photo worse than video ? crippling ? I don't know

Now the good things:

- DR in both photo and video. It has the best DR of any FF I've used. Shooting portrait with the a7sIII in harsh sunlight is better than the canon R6 I've been using before.

- the buffer is extremely deep when shooting RAW to both v90 uhs-II SD cards.

- the color science is amazing. I'm not joking, the color science in ST and FL are absolutely gorgeous.

- For printing in A3: it's amazing. It's as good if not better than the other 20 and 26 mp FF cameras I've used. Not sure how to explain it. Maybe the fact that the 14bit RAW is downsampled from 16bit.

- 240p HD is so good

Overall I recommend the a7sIII for video work, headshot portrait and landscape photography.

I don't recommend it for wildlife, group photos of people and macro.

I just hope the a7IV exterior and build quality will be an exact copy of the a7sIII.

A more photocentric version of the a7sIII in the future would be awesome too, for low light photography and videography. Not just video.

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Canon EOS R6 Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow